Marine and Coastal Science Assistant
Do you want to make a difference protecting and restoring the abundance of the oceans? Come join a dedicated team of professionals who are working to protect our oceans for reducing the impacts of climate change, feeding a growing global population, and supporting the livelihoods of fishers, their families, and their communities.
Founded in 2001, Oceana is the world’s largest nonprofit organization focused solely on restoring the resilience and abundance of the ocean. We achieve measurable change by conducting specific, science-based campaigns with fixed deadlines and articulated goals.
Desired Applicant Profile:
- Graduated from a professional career of Biology, Fisheries Engineering or similar.
- Knowledge of topics such as marine ecology, fisheries, data analysis, management, and information visualization.
- Interest in researching issues related to the state of management of fishery resources, their local and international commercialization, as well as information dissemination systems.
- Proactive, organized, with a high degree of responsibility and ability to work as a team and support various campaigns/projects in parallel.
- Excellent writing ability in Spanish and English proficiency at intermediate level.
- Willingness to maintain strict confidentiality in the handling and use of information.
- Advanced knowledge in spreadsheets, knowledge in spatial information processing (QGis, Grass, etc.) and programming in R is desirable but not indispensable.
- Collection, systematization and production of reports on fisheries , markets, oceanographic variables and bibliographic databases.
- Contribute to the preparation of technical documents on fisheries management and sustainable use of hydrobiological resources.
- Contribute to the preparation of articles and documents for the dissemination of fisheries issues as a source of information for public communication.
- Participation in the design and operation of a system of dissemination of information on fisheries and oceanography for various audiences.
- Transversal support in the provision of information for the preparation of press releases and other communication products.
- Others that the Scientific Directorate of Oceana in Peru entrusts in a timely manner.
- Interested parties:
- Verify that the requirements of the wizard profile are met. Applications that do not conform to it will not be processed.
- Send a simple application detailing why you would be interested in participating in these practices, attaching i) cover letter from a professor of the study center or a recent professional reference, and ii) undocumented CV.
Oceana values a diverse workforce and welcomes people different from each other in many ways, including characteristics such as race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, and national origin. Oceana considers all qualified candidates and seeks to recruit from a diverse candidate pool.